Any copywriting jobs?

Want a job as a copywriter? You’re not alone…

Copywriting and content agencies are great places to work right? Absolutely. Spending your day crafting witty, insightful and engaging content is pretty amazing. But competition to break into the industry is high.

Want a job as a copywriter? You’re not alone…

Every week we get emails from some fantastic young, aspiring and established writers. We can’t respond to them all, but here are five pieces of advice from 42 to you.

We love local

We’re a Bristol copywriting and content agency, based at the fantastic Paintworks. We work with clients across the UK and beyond, which means we spend a lot of time on email. But, we like to meet the people we work with if possible.

If you’re looking for a job, our advice is to try and search out local agencies to connect with. If you’re an expert in your field, or work in a specific niche, then you can pretty much work from anywhere. But for us – and for many agencies – if we can work with someone local, we probably will.

2. Email is best

It’s good to talk, but it’s better to email. A 2017 poll of media professionals found that only 1% preferred to be contacted by phone. The other 99% were happy with a short email, and we are too.

We will always answer the phone, and always chat to you. But we may be busy, on a deadline or with clients, so don’t feel offended if we don’t have much time for you right away.

3. Always link to your work

Every morning at 10:30 we have a pot of freshly brewed, dark, delicious and highly caffeinated goodness. It’s a chance to relax a little and catch up. Around this time we might be looking for something to read. If you’ve sent us an email, link to your best work and we might spend our time reading you.

Copywriters love to read, so stick your best work up front, be bold and proud. Let your words do the talking.

4. Don’t be disappointed if we don’t respond

It can be really demoralising to pitch with no response. We know, because we’ve done it. The reality is, we receive so many emails from exited copywriters and content professionals, we often can’t keep up with them.

If we don’t respond straight away it’s not us being rude, it’s just the fact that we have a lot of work to do. But please read on…

5. We do keep your details (and will be in touch!)

Some of the copywriters and content producers who work with us have contacted us directly through our website. It’s a tried and tested method that works.

We read your emails, store them and refer back to them when we need to. We know that other marketing, content and copywriting agencies do too. It’s likely they started out doing the same thing.

It may not be today, or tomorrow, or next week – but if you’re producing great work and we can use your services we will be in touch.

Until then, here are a few hints and tips on how to find copywriting work.

Are you looking for a job?

If you’re a Bristol copywriter, the best place to look is Bristol Media. It’s totally free and it’s where the city’s best agencies go to find talent. We’re members, and if you’re serious about copy, you should be too.

The kind folks at Creative Bath have created a similar resource for the budding  copywriter. Find it here.

We’re also members of Pro Copywriters, the alliance of commercial writers. It’s not free to join, but it’s an investment worth making.

Depending on your speciality, there are other places to look for work. We’re members of the Association of British Science Writers (ABSW)European Medical Writers Association, and a whole host of others.

Where not to look for a job…

Do you enjoy working for virtually nothing while others profit from your hard work? No, of course not.

It’s why you should avoid working for content mills, or selling your services too cheaply on a platform like Fiverr.

You’re better than that; we know you are. If you work for free or for an hourly rate that would shame the Victorians ($0.01 a word isn’t rare), then you’re devaluing yourself, and sadly, the whole copywriting industry.

If you’re an aspiring copywriter or content pro, take a look at our site and see what we do. If you’re looking for expert copy or content, then contact us.

Want to connect with your customers?

Get in touch!