SEO for dentists uses various strategies, including on-site improvements, content, and off-site connections, to boost your practice in search engine results. Specialist dental SEO agencies like 42group work methodically, using proven tools, techniques, and technologies to deliver long-lasting ranking improvements.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a vital part of the digital marketing toolkit, but do you really know how it works? There’s a lot of smoke and mirrors when it comes to SEO, but we will outline how you can boost your practice online, boosting your public profile and ensuring a steady flow of patients.
SEO isn’t a single activity but incorporates a range of activities, including establishing a local presence, improving the website user experience, including keywords, and creating engaging content.
At 42group, we specialise in SEO for dentists, SEO for doctors, and other healthcare providers. We’re happy to share our expertise to help you boost your dental practice online.
What is dental SEO?
When someone enters a query in a search engine like Google, it sifts through countless web pages to present what it thinks the best result is. People will search for a range of things, like:
- Local dental practice
- Dental practice near me
- Dentists taking on new patients
Simply put, SEO ensures your dental practice is one of the top search results.
Google’s ranking algorithms are complex, and it’s impossible for us to know how it grades webpages, but there are known effective strategies – and that’s what we do at 42group.
Effective dental SEO ensures that your website is functioning smoothly, is user-friendly, is universally accessible, and demonstrates authority.
Successful SEO for dentists ensures that your clinic is easily discoverable by local patients. As well as increasing visibility, it helps patients access your services and get all the information they need, including operating hours, contact details, and services offered.
Finally, your website can have an educational role in engaging patients. It can help them learn about tooth care, dental services, and any cosmetic treatments you offer.
Why might your dental practice need SEO?
Dental clinics provide a vital healthcare service to the public. It’s essential that patients can access your service, and SEO is critical to that.
Bu dental practices are businesses competing with others for market share. SEO can help your dental practice to rise through the rankings, becoming the practice of choice for local patients. This ensures all your capacity is utilised, maximising your profit.
Dental practices often offer additional services, including cosmetic dentistry, that can prove highly profitable. SEO can help you engage your audience and successfully market your services more cost-effectively than paid-for advertising and promotion.
Reasons to consider SEO for your dental clinic may include:
- Launching a new dental practice
- Boosting the search engine visibility of your local clinic to engage new patients
- Promoting cosmetic dentistry services
- Adding new dental services to your practice
- Enhancing the website’s user experience
- Rebranding your dental practice
- Addressing conflicts with another clinic of the same name
- Expanding services offered at your dental clinic
- Welcoming a new partner to the practice
- Promoting your clinic to boost its profile before a sale
- Counteracting negative online feedback
Benefits of SEO for dental clinics
Dentists are business owners with a financial interest in making their practice as popular as possible. More patients means more profit. Even those that offer a proportion of NHS dentistry will want to ensure that patients understand how to register, access services, and have total transparency over costs.
The benefits of SEO can be massive for dental practices that offer cosmetic dentistry. As well as competing with local dental practices, you’re increasingly battling low-cost clinics abroad. Successful dental SEO can help to deliver new patients, increase engagement among existing patients, satisfy critical stakeholders, and ultimately increase practice profits.
Investing in SEO for your dental clinic can deliver significant advantages, including:
- Driving more traffic to your website
- Helping local patients find the best dental clinic for their needs
- A strong online presence influences patient perceptions of your practice (the higher up in SERPs, the better you are – that’s the Google way)
- Helps to shape patient expectations of services and raises awareness of additional services(such as cosmetic dentistry)
- Provides patient education to help them make the best choices in their lives
- Counters misinformation online, including negative reviews
Barriers to high search engine rankings
NHS organisations generally perform well in search rankings due to Google’s trust in the brand. However, private dental clinics often need to invest more in their websites and SEO optimisation to boost their search engine rankings:
Some of the common obstacles to high search engine rankings for dental clinics include:
- Inappropriate or confused keyword targeting
- No local presence online
- Serious website issues like insecurity, broken links, and subpar content
- A poor user experience
- Negative online reviews
- A lack of engaging, patient-centred content
As a specialist healthcare and dental SEO agency, we understand how these issues can impact your dental practice ranking performance and how we can solve them.
Breaking down dental SEO: The basics
Let’s break down the basics of an SEO strategy for dentists. The fundamental parts of any successful health promotion SEO strategy include:
- Local SEO tactics
- On-page optimisation
- Off-site optimisation
- Content creation
- Performance analytics and tracking
Each section that follows provides a straightforward explanation of the necessary steps, complete with key terms used by agencies. This isn’t a “how to” guide, and much of this work (like improving website speed, for example) will need to be completed by specialists. But this guide will help any dentist understand what SEO is and what you’re being sold.
Before diving into dental SEO tactics, it’s vital to understand which keywords to target. Don’t try and compete at a national level. Instead, aim for high-intent searches, such as specific dental service queries or localised searches like “dentist near me.” We also recommend that your dental practice gets hyper-local, targeting the areas around your practice with highly relevant content powered by insights only a local would know. This is one of the (not so) secret tools of effective local SEO.
You can probably sit down with a scrap of paper and a pen and identify the core keywords related to your dental practice. But if you’re unsure about keywords, tools like SEMRush, Ahrefs, Google Keyword Planner, and even ChatGPT can assist in pinpointing the most relevant terms.
Keyword selection is much more important if you want to promote commercial treatments and cosmetic dentistry across a wider geographic area. In these situations, keyword analysis and selection are critical to success (so work with an expert team).
Don’t be afraid of the keyword identification process. 42group’s in-house experts are here to guide you. Contact us for a commitment-free consultation to discover how we can target your core audience and pinpoint high-value keywords.
Once we’ve got them agreed, we can get to work improving your search engine ranking. How? Let’s get into the details….
Local SEO for dentists
Local SEO involves techniques to ensure your dental practice appears in local listings, directories, and local Google searches. Local SEO techniques for dentists include;
- Claiming your Google My Business profile: It’s free and essential to boost local visibility and secure a high ranking on Google. As well as claiming your profile, keep all details – like photos, opening hours, and contact information – up-to-date. Be sure to amend around holidays to avoid embarrassment or (even worse) negative reviews.
- Listing your practice in local and professional directories: Beyond Google My Business, include your practice in relevant local directories and engage with community platforms. When you add your site to directories, always push for a backling to boost SEO.
- Ensuring accuracy with partner listings: Check through partner websites (NHS trusts, local authorities, third-sector organisations and other charities) and ensure your practice details are correct. Contact them directly and fix any issues.
- Encouraging patient reviews: Positive reviews can enhance your profile and highlight the quality of your practice.
- Invest in local PR: We know that PR isn’t a digital marketing tactic, but it can have an impact on your site’s ranking as well as driving traffic. Find opportunities in local papers, websites, and forums to create interest, generate links, and boost search engine ranking. The chronic shortage of local journalists means that feel-good stories about healthcare are in high demand.
On-page SEO for dentists
On-page SEO involves refining your website, improving speed, and optimising the user experience. Unless you’re an expert, you may require a specialist for technical aspects. If you do engage a specialist dental SEO agency, here are some of the things they’ll focus on improving:
- Optimising titles, descriptions, and headers: These are vital elements that provide clear signals to Google about your website and each specific page. A dental SEO specialist will use your keywords and incorporate them into titles, tags, and pages in a way that doesn’t impact usability or clarity.
- Refining content to be clear and answer patient queries: At 42group, we work with several partners to assess the quality of their current content and improve it. Instead of focusing on SEO, we’re all about improving it for the user. This means making each page simple and clear, with a suitable structure, straightforward content, and a call to action. Get this right, and ranking improvements will follow.
- Streamlining URLs for simplicity and logic: The URL (web address) is another important signal to Google, so we will work to simplify them to improve search engine performance.
- Boosting site speed and ensuring mobile-friendliness: Your website should be fast, simple to use, and optimised for mobile phone users. This isn’t something you should attempt alone (unless you’re an experienced designer), but it can significantly impact website traffic and ranking.
Off-page SEO for dentists
Off-page SEO refers to external activities that can enhance your search ranking. These are things that you, or a digital marketing partner, can do to increase the visibility of your site, drive organic traffic, build links, and demonstrate relevance;
- Creating social media profiles: While simply setting up a social media profile alone won’t impact SEO, building an engaged community and encouraging them to visit your site will. We recommend focusing on channels that will drive conversions. For most clients, this is Facebook and Instagram, but it’s worth exploring options for all social channels.
- Building organic backlinks from trusted sources: Backlinks are links to your site from other sites. It’s that simple, and it remains a strong factor in SEO. Some agencies will offer to buy backlinks, which can give you a short-term boost but impact long-term ranking. Instead, use the strategies outlined in this guide to generate genuine links that add value to your website and your users.
- Addressing reviews professionally: Always respond to reviews. This has the dual benefit of demonstrating engagement and investment in your online presence and boosting your profile. Will it benefit SEO? Not directly, but it will help your business overall.
- Regularly posting on Google My Business: this is an important part of boosting your local SEO profile. Of course, Google is going to like it when you post on its platforms, so set aside some time each month to add an image, post, or update and see the benefits it can bring.
Content creation for dental clinics
We’re a content-driven SEO agency, so of course, we’re going to say that quality healthcare content is key to search engine success. And it’s true.
Every business – including dental practices – should ensure that existing content is optimised, accessible and demonstrates authority. In addition, you should plan out a strategy to post regular content that boosts your business in search engines. How? By focusing on your audience.
Here are some SEO content strategies for dentists:
- Crafting hyper-local content tailored to your community: You’ll know your local area, patients, and population better than anyone, so develop content that will appeal to them. This is a core strength of local SEO.
- Developing patient-centred service descriptions: A few lines about your services won’t move the dial in SEO. Instead, focus on building large pages that are packed full of information. Always include keywords, address patient pain points, and answer questions.
- Producing educational blog posts targeting specific inquiries: The more specific you can be, the better. As an SEO content agency for dentists, we ca help you to develop a comprehensive blog programme built around your audience.
- Supercharge new service descriptions: Whenever you add a new service, support its launch with a detailed and optimised page and supporting blogs. This not only boosts your SEO and promotes your service, but it also provides vital information for visitors.
How long should a blog post or piece of content be? To be effective, we recommend that every blog post is over 1,000 words and, ideally, it should be around 2,500.
However, don’t be tempted to pad out your work. As long as your page or blog directly answers the question your audience has asked, it’s doing its job effectively.
Measuring SEO Success
Whether you manage SEO activities yourself or partner with an agency, it’s important to understand the impact of your SEO efforts. You’ll need to ensure that you have set up analytics and have access to tools like Google Search Console.
Some of the key SEO metrics you should check include:
- organic traffic
- search ranking positions
- clickthrough rates, bounce rates, and average time spent on the website
We’ll create a detailed post on how to measure the success of your dental practice SEO soon. You can check our answers page for the latest in SEO updates, content strategy, and tips to build a successful business.
SEO for Dentists: Let’s Get Started
By now, you should understand what SEO for dentists is and why it’s vital to improve your search engine ranking.
We’ve explored the fundamentals here, but the real magic happens when we work in partnership with dental practices to identify those insights that can unlock ranking opportunities.
Want to know know more? Get in touch.Get in touch